1. Outside of school and your comics, have you written any fiction of non-fiction? Do you like to read prose fiction or non-fiction?
Yes, I have written some fictional narratives outside of school. They’re short stories written in prose. I enjoy fiction more than non-fiction on most things
2. Would you say you have a good awareness of the history of American Comics?
I wouldn’t say I know a lot on the history, but I am aware of a lot of mainstream American Comics and a handful of less known stuff.
3. Off the top of your head, could you name 5 artists who worked in comics before 1980? Do you have a favorite?
4. Could you name 5 artists who work or worked in newspaper comics?
I just know most by the titles of the comics. Bill Watterson, though, is my favorite newspaper comic artist of all time.
5. Could you name any contemporary cartoonists from Europe? Do you have a favorite?
No, but the guy who does “Black Sad” is really awesome. There’s another comic I’ve seen by a French guy called “Skydoll” that has amazing drawing skill and style that looks amazing, but the subject matter is too adult for me to recommend.
6. Could you name any contemporary manga artists from Japan? Do you have a favorite?
7. Do you read European Comics?
8. Do you read any manga?
I use to read manga, but not so much lately.
9. Do you regularly draw in a sketchbook or write in a journal?
Not unless it’s required. I do enjoy doing both, but I haven’t made it a habit. But, I’m going to be drawing at least 10 pages a week in a sketchbook starting 4/28/11.
10. Would you say you have a good working ability to drawing with brush and ink? If so, how long have you used a brush? What types?
I don’t have a lot of experience with brush and ink other than a pit brush pen. I’m getting better with it though. I’ve been practicing with it fairly recently in Drawing for Animation class with Joe Olson.
11. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get comics news?
12. Which magazines or websites do you regularly read in order to get news of current events?
I don’t usually look up news online or in magazines.
13. Do you go to comic conventions or festivals? If so—which ones?
14. Have you ever sat through a portfolio review with a professional editor? If so, could you briefly sum up their message for you?
15. Have you ever had you work published? If so, where?
16. How long have you been drawing?
As early as I can remember
17. Do you like to go to museums? Do you have any Favorite “fine” artists, either living or dead? Film directors?
Yes. Richard Schmid and Sargent. Coen Brothers, Miyazaki Hayao, Peter Jackson, and the Samurai Jack guy
18. Would you think it could be useful or beneficial to watch a film or films as a group and discuss it afterwards as it may relate to comics? Do you have a recommendation for such a film?
Yes. Some movies I would recommend would be "Interstella 5555", “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World”, “The Tick”—animated episode(s), Adam West’s “Batman”, “The Incredibles”, “Teen Titans”, “Unbreakable”
19. What ethnographic background do you have and how confident are you in acting as an expert of resource of that background?
I’m half white, half Mexican-American. I don’t know a lot of Mexican history with graphic novels or film.
20. What comic or book or movie have you read/seen at least 5 times? And 10 times?
At least 5 times – Voltron, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle
At least 10 times – The Three Amigos, Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail, Princess Bride
Those are all movies though. The closest I came to reading a book at least 5 times would be “Ender’s Game”/”Ender’s Shadow” and “The Hobbit”.